World Class Cross Country Soaring
King Mountain provides some of the best foot launch soaring and cross country flying opportunities anywhere. This area compares quite favorably with the Owens Valley (Southern California). This is a world class Hang Gliding and Paragliding site guaranteed to test your flying skills! There are booming thermals, outrageous turbulence, and the promise of long XC flights. It is lots of fun and superb flying in some of the most scenic mountains in the world.
King Mountain is located near Moore, Idaho.
King is at the south end of the Lost River Range in The Lost River Valley which runs 70 miles from Arco through Moore and Mackay to Willow Creek Summit south of Challis, Idaho. The valley is 10 to 15 miles wide, bounded on both sides by mountains rising 5,000 – 6,000 feet above the valley floor (mountains tower over 12,000 feet), providing a beautiful corridor for X-C flying. They call it the Lost River for a specific reason: It does not flow into a larger stream but down into the ground. Of the twenty-five highest mountains in Idaho, twenty-four of them are located here, including Idaho’s highest peak, Mount Borah, at 12,662 feet.
The 2015 contest is over. The weather was not on our side this year. We were only able to fly on Tuesday (day 2) and Thursday (day 4). A total of 19 pilots competed. Pilot turn out was lighter this year, due to the weather forecasts.
We only provided awards to one competition class due to low turnout and the lack of flying. We didn’t get much flying done, due to weather, but we had a great adventure exploring the Idaho backwoods. ~ Connie
The results are posted at: 2015 Competition Results
Contest Entry Fee: $100
- INCLUDES: T-shirt (by Dan Gravage), IHGA Membership ($25 value!), and Opening Party.
- Other Fees:
- Saturday night BBQ $12 per person, $5 for kids under 12.
- Additional T-Shirts $15.00 each.
- RECREATION CLASS – Open to pilots who have never flown 75 miles prior to registration.
- OPEN CLASS – Open to all pilots. Pilots in the Recreation Class are also eligible to enter and place in the Open Class for free.
- TEAM CLASS – 5 members with at least one member in the recreation class. There is a charge of $5 extra for each member in the team.
- Pilots are REQUIRED to fly with a GPS and be able to download their flight logs for Scoring.
- Scoring is done using Google Earth and the Flytrack scoring system to verify track logs and calculate points. GPS format is DDMMMM, or Degrees, Decimal Minutes.
- Pilots are required to fly with GPS and must turn in track logs by 9 p.m. the day of the flight.
- If the flight of over 75 miles straight line, the GPS track may be turned in by 9 am the following morning. After that, track logs will not be accepted and no score will be recorded.
Tasks are Open Distance cross country along a declared route. While Open Distance tasks may have turnpoints, all tasks will be Open Distance and have no declared end point. Tasks with turnpoints shall be scored using a ½ mile radius around each turnpoint.
For complete information see CONTEST RULES page.
CONTEST REGISTRATION INSTRUCTIONS
- Download the Registration and the Rules-Routes PDF documents.
- Print the Registration Forms – 4 pages.
- Fill out the 4 forms:
- King Registration Form – be sure to indicate preferences, total all $$ and write a check.
- Idaho HGA Membership & Release
- USHPA Medical Information form
- USHPA Release & Waiver Form
- Send the completed forms together with your check made out to “KING MEET” to:
- King Meet – Connie Work
PO Box 519
Dunlap, CA 93621
- King Meet – Connie Work
Contact: Connie Work
LATEST NEWS – UPDATES
We still have 2015 t-shirts available.
Shirts are $15 plus shipping.
Shipping is estimated at $5.00
Contact Connie and order your King Mountain T-Shirt.
- Medium short sleeve shirts
Long Sleeve Shirts
- 1 small long sleeve
- Medium Long Sleeve
- Large long sleeve
- Extra large long sleeve
I do not have any women’s tanks left.
Contact: Connie Work
Time is getting short, if you are interested in flying at the King Meet this year, make sure to get your application turned in. Come play with us!
Did I forget to tell you about the brand new facility waiting for us this year? New showers, a new meeting hall, still the wonderful green lawns to camp on, but the City of Moore is really taking care of us. Come check it out!
King Area Map – Click to view larger image.
Experience King Mountain
Paraglider pilots will love flying at King Mountain too! This place can be turbulent, so P4 pilots only please.
I’m Larry-RWP your Fly King Mountain webmaster, I worked with Ernie on the original website. In the above photo I am ready to fly my 1st Rigid Wing Glider, an ATOS B at Hull Mt. I am now flying my 3rd rigid wing glider, a Schleicher ASG29, and I love it’s 52 to 1 glide ratio. Oh, “RWP” is for Rigid Wing Pilot.
Come Fly King MountainMoore, Idaho