Another fine graphic by Dan Gravage
2013 Contest Dates: July 7-14
2013 USHPA Sanctioned HG Race to Goal and Open Distance Fly-In
Registration is NOW OPEN - Sign Up Now
Download the 2013 King Registration Packet (4 pages Adobe PDF 252KB)
For all the forms, Visit the Registration Forms Page to download the registration and release forms; contest rules, Contest Routes and GPS waypoints (turnpoints) information.
Contest duration: Sun. July 7 thru Sun. July 14
If you plan on staying for the Saturday BBQ, be sure to sign up and pay on your Registration Form.
2013 Contest: Both Race to Goal and Open Distance
All the elements of a Fly-In with a huge dollop of learning experience, then add a smidgen of Competition, stir it up with an unbelievable amount of comraderie and what you get is a recipe for the most fun you can have while expanding your horizons. This year we are going to try something new,we are going to have both Race to Goal and Open Distance at the same Competition, come join the fun!
Contest Director and Team
Director: Connie Work
Score Keeper: Ernie Camacho
Task Committee: TBA
Upper Launch Directors: TBA
Lower Launch Directors: TBA
Safety Director: TBA
Weather Team: TBA
Tasks can be Race to Goal or Open Distance cross country along a declared route. While Open Distance tasks may have turnpoints, Open Distance and have no declared end point. Tasks with turnpoints shall be scored using a ½ mile radius around each turnpoint. (see Rules page for complete rules.)
Contest Entry Fee: $100
- INCLUDES: T-shirt (by Dan Gravage), IHGA Membership ($25 value!), and Opening Party.
- Other Fees
- Saturday night BBQ $12 per person, $5 for kids under 12
- Additional T-Shirts $15.00 each
You must select what contest you are entering on your Registration Form.
Be sure to Circle your choice: Race To Goal or Open Distance
Recreation - Open to pilots who have never flown 75 miles prior to registration.
- Open - Open to all pilots. Pilots in the Recreation Class are also eligible to enter and place in the Open Class for FREE.
- Team - 5 members with at least one member in the recreation class. There is a charge of $5 extra for each member in the team.
Pilots are REQUIRED to fly with a GPS and be able to download their flight logs for Scoring.
We will be using Google Earth and the Flytrack scoring system to verify track logs and calculate points. GPS format is DDMMMM, or Degrees, Decimal Minutes. Pilots are required to fly with GPS. Pilots must turn in track logs by 9 p.m. the day of the flight. If the flight of over 75 miles straight line, the GPS track may be turned in by 9 am the following morning. After that, track logs will not be accepted and no score will be recorded. Please turn in your GPS tracks as soon as possible.
In Progress: changes will be made to accomodate Race To Goal . See Contest Rules page.
- Recreation Class: Trophies to the top 3 places
- Open Class: Trophies to the top 3 places
- Team Award: Trophies to first place Team
- Sportsmanship Award: Awarded to an individual who makes a selfless contribution to the Meet or to their fellow competitors.
- Eiji Yokoda Memorial Trophy: This trophy was created by Jimmy Pricer to honor our friend and fellow pilot, Eiji Yokoda. Awarded each year to the pilot who has the longest flight at the King Mountain Hang Gliding Championships. This is a traveling trophy and the winner must return the trophy to the Meet each year.
- Driver Award: This award goes to the driver who picks up the most pilots during the entire meet. Drivers must submit a form after picking up their pilots each day.
- Download and print the complete 2013 King Registration Packet. (4 pages)
- Fill out the Registration, Release, and Medical forms.
- Send the completed forms together with your check
made out to "2013 King Meet" to:
2013 King Meet – Connie Work
PO Box 519
Dunlap, CA 93621
Contact: Connie Work
About King Mountain - Idaho
King Mountain Hang Gliding and Paragliding events, notably the King Mountain Hang Gliding Championships, are permitted to operate under a special use permit by the Salmon-Challis National Forest.
King Mountain is located near Moore, Idaho, at the south end of the Lost River Range (See Map) in an area that compares quite favorably with California's Owens Valley.
There are mountain ranges towering over 12,000 ft. above the 5,000 ft. valleys; booming thermals; strong turbulence; and the promise of long XC flights.
This is a world class Hang Gliding and Paragliding site guaranteed to test your flying skills. It is challenging, lots of fun, with superb flying in some of the most scenic mountains in the world.
King Mountain is a very dynamic Hang-4 site in thermal or high wind conditions. Hang 3's can fly if assisted by experienced teammate H-4/5 pilots, preferably people who have multiple years flying here.
Largest Hang Gliding Competition in the U.S.A.
King Mountain attracts glider pilots from all over the world. Every summer from 80 to 125 pilots come to fly the annual King Mountain contest.
Is this your year? Remember, this is an advanced flying site with booming thermals and strong turbulence that will test your skills.
Enjoy a few photos from previous contests!
A WORD ABOUT DOGS...
Sorry, but no dogs will be allowed in set up areas or on either launch. An official pooper-scooper, rubber gloves and baggies will be left at the Moore Park. Pet owners are asked to respect the citizens of Moore and other competitors by picking up after their dogs.
- Mike Soderstrom's King report - 2008
- Idaho Outdoors - Xtreme Sports
- www.sonomawings.com - King Mt. Stories
Where to stay: Lodging & Recreation page for a list of Hotels and Campgrounds.